- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 red or yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 x 425g tin Old El Paso™ Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1 sachet Old El Paso™ Crispy Chicken Seasoning Mix for Fajitas
- 450g halloumi cheese, cut into 1cm thick slices, patted dry
- 1 pack Old El Paso™ Regular Flour Tortillas (8 tortillas)
- 120mL Old El Paso™ Chunky Guacamole
- 120ml Old El Paso™ Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
- 120ml Old El Paso™ Soured Cream, for serving
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- Old El Paso™ Sliced Green Jalapeños, drained (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown on edges. Stir in the beans and cook for 1-2 minutes, until heated through. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm. Wipe the pan clean.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Place the seasoning mix in a second medium bowl. Add the halloumi slices to the egg mixture and turn to coat. Transfer to the bowl of seasoning mix and turn each slice to coat, pressing down gently. Heat the remaining oil in the clean pan over a medium heat. Add the coated halloumi slices and cook (in 2 batches) for 2-4 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides and cheese is soft.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas from the kit to pack instructions. Divide the guacamole between the tortillas. Top with the halloumi and vegetable mixture. Serve topped with the salsa, soured cream, coriander and sliced jalapeños, if you like.
Try out different veggies in place of the peppers, like sliced courgette, mushrooms or spinach.
Patting the cheese dry before adding to the egg mixture ensures every little bit of the delicious crispy seasoning sticks to the cheese.
Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.